LAVACA COUNTY, TEXAS
The Appelt's Hill Gun Club celebrated its 135th anniversary on Sunday, October 15, 2017. First known as the Appelt's Hill Schutzen Verein, the club was organized on August 20, 1882 by August J. Appelt, with forty-five members from around the community. Appelt built a platform on his land in 1886 and the first four king shoots were held there. It was named Possum Flat. The platform was moved to Joseph Selzer's property and the shoots continued there until 1896. At that time, the club purchased 7 1/4 acres from John Schornack and William Heinsohn. Since 1897 the king shoot has been held on these grounds. The original building was destroyed by a storm on July 21, 1909. The present hall is used by the general public for dances, family reunions and other gatherings. The Appelt's Hill Gun Club is the only active gun club left of seven such organizations in the county. Some of the other community gun clubs were at Breslau, Hallettsville, Pagel Settlement and Wied.
The Appelt's Hill Gun Club still carries on the tradition started by August J. Appelt and holds shoots every May (May Feast) and October (King Feast). Check the events schedule for the feast schedules and other planned events.
Source: Teresa Voelkel
APPELT'S HILL GUN CLUB BOARD MEMBERS
PRESIDENT ROBERT ZAPPE 361-772-8575 email@example.com
VICE PRESIDENT DAVID POHL 361-550-5948 firstname.lastname@example.org
TREASURER HILMER APPELT 832-405-2205 email@example.com
SECRETARY WAYNE ROTHER
BETTY SUPAK 979-478-6201 firstname.lastname@example.org
NORBERT”BUCK”HENNEKE 936-525-9918 email@example.com
JUSTIN BUTSCHEK 361-772-8522 firstname.lastname@example.org
SCOTT DYER 832-260-2819 email@example.com
GROUNDS AND HALL KEEPER GLADYS DEVALL
Call (361) 772-8575